10 Apr Osteopath Vs Chiropractor
Want to finally deal with those pesky aches and pains? Unsure what kind of practitioner is best for your needs?
Here, we let you in on the finer details of two of the most common healing modalities utilized today.
Osteopath Vs Chiropractor
Officially, this is what Precision Chiropractic (www.precision-chiropractic.co.uk/blog) has to say on the matter:
“The major difference between an Osteopath and a Chiropractor is that while the chiropractor is primarily focused on the spine and joints (and the muscles too, to a point) an Osteopath is also concerned with the rest of the body.”
We’ve created a brief run-down of their differences and functions:
- Focuses on how the skeleton, joints, muscles, nerves, circulation, connective tissue and internal organs function holistically.
- Uses hands-on techniques to identify dysfunction. Methods include stretching and massage of the soft tissues (muscles, tendons and ligaments) and/or mobilisation of specific joints and soft tissues.
- Are primary healthcare practitioners trained to recognize conditions that may require a medical referral. Also trained to perform standard examinations of the musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory and nervous systems.
- Uses hands-on spinal manipulation, with the theory that proper alignment of the body’s musculoskeletal structure, particularly the spine, will enable the body to heal itself.
- Aim is to restore mobility to joints restricted by tissue injury, possibly from a sports injury, fall or repetitive stress from sitting without proper back support or posture.
- Primarily used as a pain relief alternative for muscles, joints, bones, and connective tissue, such as cartilage, ligaments, and tendons and is sometimes used in conjunction with conventional medical treatment.
Need a bit of a self-fix? Flex has introduced Yamuna Body Rolling® classes EVERY Friday in Central, and Saturday’s at One Island South, both at 12 noon. Yamuna® is a powerful maintenance tool practiced by anyone, regardless of age or physical limitations. Using the superior Yamuna® balls, it can help increase flexibility, improve blood circulation through the muscle fascia and break down scar tissue. A great way to relieve pain or enhance any physical activity. [email protected]