08 Jun How To Love Squats (and do them right!)
Here, Fitness Trainer and FLEXtreme Director Andrea Ramirez tells how to find the ‘sweet spot’ for maximum efficacy:
It’s simple, it works and yet, so many of us either dread the squat or do it incorrectly.
I am here to tell you that you can love the humble squat and get much more out of them. Yes, they are a challenge, but are so effective – working the thighs, glutes, abs and butt – that even in a very small amount of time, you can gain huge benefits from this amazing exercise.
My Top Tips to get the perfect (regular) Squat Form:
- Legs are hip-width apart.
- Begin to squat, making sure your knees are aligned with your heels.
- When squatting, maintain that alignment. Never put all your weight on the knees.
- Keep the back straight (despite a slight forward ‘lean’).
- Lower back is neutral. Do not let it round.
- Squat until you’re hips are below your knees. That’s the sweet spot. If you don’t go this low, you won’t get the real effect.
- I love to say, ‘put all your weight in your butt’. However, I stress again, don’t arch your back to stick your butt out.
- You can have hands in front of your hips or add hand weights.
- Don’t go too fast, as you need to ensure you are properly aligned throughout.
- Do three rounds of 20 repetitions about three times a week.
Flex is now offering bespoke Private Training at its NEW luxe 4th floor studio in Central. The ultimate in personal fitness, our FLEXtreme trainers provide targeted and highly effective methods to help you reach your fitness goals. Train at your own rhythm, get sold nutritional advice and see results.
Wednesdays from 2.30-4pm and Fridays, 2.30-5pm.