08 Oct RECIPE: Seabass Tamarind Salad from Elementary
A fresh and light Thai-inspired salad with tamarind squid ink aioli and edamame
This month’s recipe is brought to us by the guys behind Catch Concepts – the group who conceptualized Kennedy Town favorites Catch and Mama Malouf. Pescatarians and flexitarians alike would love this fresh and light Seabass Salad enriched with Asian-Mediterranean flavors: tamarind squid ink aioli, fennel, mint and edamame.
The delicious dish is an offshoot of a well-loved main course at Elementary, a contemporary restaurant in the charming Tai Hang neighborhood. Recreate a bit of the modern menu at home, whipping up a delightful and innovative flavor combination right in your kitchen!
Oh, and did we mention it’s easy to prepare?
Prep time: 16 minutes*
Cooking time: 15 minutes
*Overnight marination required
- 1 whole Sea bass
- 2 pcs Lemongrass (smashed)
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 1 pc red Thai chili (chopped)
- 2 pcs shallot (roughly sliced)
- 2 pcs peeled garlic (crushed)
- 20g ginger (smashed)
- 1/2 tsp Fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300 ml vegetable oil
- Sauté ginger, shallot and garlic in 2 tbsp oil until soft.
- Add lemongrass, chilli and Thai basil; make sure everything is nicely sautéd
- Add lime and fish sauce.
- Add remaining oil and bring to boil. Let it infuse the flavors.
- After oil becomes cold, add fish and marinade overnight.
Squid ink aioli
- 100g Squid ink
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Add all the ingredients; mix well and add water if it’s too thick.
- 2 tbsp edamame beans
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 baby radish (sliced)
- 1/2 fennel (shaved)
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all the salad ingredients add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven 180°C
- Bake sea bass for 16 minutes
- Splash squid ink aioli on a plate with the help of a spoon
- Place seabass on top of aioli
- Add salad over the fish, then drizzle some nice olive oil.
This dish is a spinoff of the Seabass Fillet main with tamarind & squid ink aioli, edamame, mint & fennel (HK$198) at Elementary restaurant, Hong Kong.
15-16 School Street, Tai Hang, Hong Kong www.elementary.hk