19 May Recipe: Fruity French Chicken Salad
Bored of the classic Caesar salad? This fresh and fruity alternative was one of the most popular dishes on the menu at Fish & Meat. The beloved restaurant may no longer be around, but we can replicate our favorites like this French chicken salad at home.
Head Chef Russell Doctrove would deliciously whizz up the dressing based on avocado for a creamy texture, and a healthy dose of good fats. Adding the raisins and orange gives the dish a summery lightness and the chili lends a hint of spiciness.
- 5 pieces of avocado
- 50g basil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and olive oil to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add a touch of water if it becomes too thick.
- 1 whole chicken (giving at least 200g of shredded meat)
- 1 red chili, finely julienned
- 20g raisins
- 20g fresh orange, peeled and chopped
- 6-8 leaves of basil
- 20g croutons
- 500g romaine lettuce
- dressing (as above)
- salt, pepper and olive oil to taste
- Season the chicken salad with fresh herbs, like rosemary and thyme, and roast at around 180˘C for 30 minutes (depending on size). Do not overcook in order retain a moist texture. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Shred.
- Toss all the other ingredients together in a large salad dish together with the dressing. Serve.
This recipe was shared by Head Chef Russell Doctrove at the former Fish & Meat restaurant on Wyndham Street, which focused on dishes that feature quality ingredients designed to be shared family style.