06 Oct RECIPE: Pumpkin Maple Bread Loaf or Muffins
This classic whole-grain loaf from Cooking Light has two-thirds less sugar than your typical pumpkin bread
With autumn well on its way, we’re celebrating with a seasonal dish this month. A fall favourite, the classic pumpkin loaf might look the part of a healthy breakfast, but it packs 400 calories and nearly 40g sugar into a single dense slice. In the spirit of the season, we’re featuring a lighter loaf that still delivers the treasured red-leaf flavours for 200 fewer calories.
Quick oats and a white whole-wheat flour add a double dose of whole grains while still keeping the loaf light and tender. Dark-coloured or Grade B maple syrup packs a strong punch with caramel undertones complementing the autumnal spices. A sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds adds a crunchy finish.
Lots of pureed pumpkin helps keep the loaf moist for days, so allow the bake-ahead bonus to liberate you and your oven during the holidays!
This healthy pumpkin bread will make your kitchen smell like fall.
Active Time 15 Mins
Total Time 1 Hour 35 Mins
Serves 12 (serving size: 1 slice)
For breakfast on the go, spin this recipe into individually portioned muffins by dividing the batter among 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray and baking at 375°F for 22 minutes. To freeze muffins, let cool completely, and place in ziplock plastic bags. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup dark-colored maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted pumpkin seed kernels (pepitas)
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place buttermilk and oats in a bowl; stir to combine. Let stand 15 minutes
- Whisk together pumpkin, maple syrup, oil, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in oat mixture. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture; whisk just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with pumpkin seed kernels.
- Bake at 350°F until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan; cool completely. Cut into 12 slices.
Calories 200 Fat 9g Satfat 1g Unsat Fat 7g Protein 5g Carbohydrate 28g Fiber 2g Sugars 13g Added sugars 11g Sodium 146mg Calcium 10% DV Potassium 3% DV